I'm struggling and your asking if I would like to modify my mortgage? Of course I want to do that, tell me where to sign! If only it were that easy. While alleged modifications may work for some struggling homeowners, I can't imagine that it is a very big percentage of them. In my experience so far, it seems that Bank of America has made this process into a nearly impossible maze.
Here is how the willfully dysfunctional process has worked for me so far:
- I got a packet suggesting that I apply for a modification.
- I called the listed phone number repeatedly to make 100% sure that I gave them everything that they wanted just exactly how they wanted it.
- I spent hours and hours tracking down the info and docs that they requested (damn near 100 pages worth).
- I received a reply that basically told me to do it all over again without any real explanation.
- I again called that super duper "we are here to help" phone number and they were unable to tell me what was wrong with the massive package that I sent the previously. So how the hell do I know how to fix whatever the alleged problem was in the first place?
- They tell me to call a national non-profit that will help me go through the process line by line. But sadly a rep from that org told me that they do NOT help in that exact way.
- If I don't meet Bank of America's tight timeline on successfully submitting whatever it is that they want, I will not even be considered for a possible modification.